Minor in Leadership Studies
Cadets have the opportunity to demonstrate a higher degree of engagement and leader development through their pursuit and completion of a minor in leadership studies.
About the minor
The following is a brief overview. Interested students need to review the official check sheet for all information regarding the requirements of this minor, which is found at the University Registrar’s website. Note, the check sheet in force for the year a cadet graduates from Virginia Tech is the one that will be used to determine eligibility for the LMCC.
Application to the Minor in Leadership – Corps of Cadets (LMCC) is restricted to active members of the Virginia Tech Corps of Cadets. Awarding of the Minor in Leadership – Corps of Cadets is restricted to students who have completed a minimum of six (6) semesters in the Virginia Tech Corps of Cadets.
Requirements for Minor (beginning with AY23-24)
A minimum of 22 credit hours consisting of:
- Sixteen credit hours that include:
- Satisfactory completion of a minimum of six semesters of Corps Leadership Courses. If a cadet transferred into the VTCC after their first year of college, then he/she will be required to satisfactorily complete the appropriate Corps Leadership Courses for a minimum of five semesters.
- The remaining credits must be earned by satisfactory completion of ROTC or Pro Lab courses.
- Six credit hours must include:
- Satisfactory completion of PHIL 2304 (Global Ethics)
- Satisfactory completion of MGT 3304 (Management Theory and Leadership Practice) OR MGT 3404 (Principles of Management) OR suitable substitute approved by the Director of the Rice Center for Leader Development.
- A minimum of six credit hours at the 3000-level or above must be satisfactorily completed.
- Satisfactory completion of coursework for this minor is defined as earning no lower than a C- as the final grade for each course.
Satisfactory completion of leadership progression within the Virginia Tech Corps of Cadets:
- Requires satisfactory completion of three leadership positions that have direct supervisory responsibility over other cadets or significant organizational responsibility. (3 VTCC – or – 2 VTCC and 1 ROTC/VPI – or – 1 VTCC and 2 ROTC/VPI). The Director of the Rice Center for Leader Development maintains the current list of approved leadership positions.
- Fire Team Leader (in any organization) can only be counted once.
- Must complete at least six semesters in the Corps of Cadets. Students dismissed from the Corps of Cadets for disciplinary reasons or unsatisfactory performance are not eligible for this minor. This requirement is met upon graduation from the Corps of Cadets for transfers students enrolled in the Corps of Cadets for less than six semesters.
Waivers and Substitutions
Requests for substitute courses should be submitted, with justification, to the Director of the Rice Center using this form.
Requests for waiver of LMCC requirements should be submitted, with justification, to the Director of the Rice Center using this form.
Declaring or Dropping the LMCC
Academic minors are validated the year a cadet is graduating from Virginia Tech, not the Corps. A cadet who is a member of the Corps' Class of 2021 but who is graduating from Virginia Tech in 2022 is considered “Class of 2022” where the minor is concerned.
Cadets who want to declare the minor should:
- Discuss the matter with their academic advisor.
- If the advisor supports the decision to add the minor, make the request for the Rice Center (email@example.com) to declare the minor on their behalf.
This decision should be made no later than the fall of a cadet’s junior year at Virginia Tech. A cadet can ask that the minor be removed at any time if desired.
Enrollment in the LMCC for cadets in VPI Battalion is highly encouraged. For cadets enrolled in the Leadership and Service (LAS) or Naval Leadership (MN) Minor who have been disenrolled from ROTC are no longer eligible for those minors. Cadets moving to VPI Battalion from ROTC must contact their respective ROTC and drop the LAS/MN minor and then should enroll in the LMCC – this does not occur automatically.
Cadets enrolled in, or considering enrollment in the LMCC are encouraged to take PHIL 2304 and MGT 3304 or 3404 as soon as practical once declaring the minor to ensure those requirements are met.
If you have any questions about the LMCC, please contact the Director of the Rice Center for Leader Development (firstname.lastname@example.org).