Class Champion Update, Sept. 29, 2021
We hope you all are having a great start to fall. We are excited to have cadets back on campus and resuming in-person activities with slight modifications to account for COVID mitigation measures. Please see below information on some recent and future opportunities to maintain your connection to Virginia Tech, the Corps of Cadets, and your fellow alumni.
For those of you who haven't heard, Michele Messner recently took a job in the Pamplin College of Business and no longer works for the Corps Alumni Office. We thank her for all of her hard work and dedication throughout her time here and wish her the best of luck. We have a temporary alumni director assistant, Anthony Gaspar ’21 in the office and several members of the advancement team who are responding to emails and answering calls. Contact us at email@example.com or 540-231-7431.
- Corps Reunion, Sept 10-12: Upper Quad welcomed back a record number of alumni and families. We realized a 60 percent increase for Friday evening activities and a 20 percent increase for Saturday activities from 2019 numbers. If there was something that you liked or want to see changed for the future, please let the Corps Alumni Office know.
- Sesquicentennial Lane Hall projection: Each college and major organization will have the opportunity to conduct a display or event over the next year and a half, and appropriately, the Corps was the first to have the opportunity in September. To celebrate the 150th year and highlight the role that the Corps of Cadets has had with the university since its founding, a state-of-the-art projection was displayed on the front of Lane Hall. The projection debuted on Friday night of Corps Reunion and continued nightly through the remainder of the weekend. If you missed the opportunity to see it in person, watch a video of the projection and watch a “behind the scenes” account.
- Fall Gunfighter Panel: MSgt John Grimesey ’08, Capt Christina (Devereux) Forsythe ’11, MAJ Scott Forsythe ’11, and Capt Benjamin Bolin ’15 returned to campus to provide cadets with their perspectives on their time in the Corps and their active duty service. If you are interested in being a panel member on a future gunfighter panel, please let the Alumni Office know at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Fall Caldwell March, Oct. 2: This is a relatively new tradition for first-year cadets that pays homage to Addison Caldwell’s journey to enroll as Virginia Agricultural and Mechanical College’s first student/cadet. There has been an interest in the past for alumni to walk with the new cadets, but that is not something that we are able to authorize at this time. We are looking at additional ways in which we, as alumni, can support this tradition.
- Hokie Talk with CAPT McGrath, Oct. 15: In his new role as the director of the Rice Center for Leader Development, CAPT Jamie McGrath ’90 will join the speakers at the Homecoming Hokie Talk, from 9 to 10 a.m. in the Assembly Hall at the Holtzman Alumni Center. The four speakers will focus on the theme of Expanding Knowledge, and CAPT McGrath will be speaking on how the Corps prepares young leaders.
- Highty-Tighty Reunion / Virginia Tech Homecoming / Class of 1971 Pass in Review, Oct 15-17: Registration for Highty-Tighty Reunion ends on Oct. 3! Details are on the event page and the Highty Tighty Alumni Inc. website.
- Class of 1970 Old Guard, Oct 21-23: Those members of the Class of 1970 interested in coming back to celebrate can find details and register at the 50th Reunion schedule of events. You may also be interested in checking out the "Lost Classmates" link. We do not have any current contact information for these classmates and would appreciate your help in reconnecting with them.
- Release of the Fall Corps Review, December: We are working hard to finish the fall edition of the Corps Review. Submit your Class Notes and items of interest. If you do not receive your Corps Review by the new year, please email email@example.com and provide your address so we can get one mailed to you.
- VTCCA Executive Committee Meeting, December: The December EXCOM will be a virtual event. Dial-in instructions and and agenda will be sent to EXCOM members.
- Spring Gunfighter Panel, Feb. 10: The timing and theme of the spring gunfighter supports not only the celebration of the 100th year of Virginia Tech women but is also linked to the Military Women’s Memorial traveling exhibit “Color of Freedom” that will be showcased in Newman Library Feb. 8-March 1. We’re looking for women who have diverse backgrounds and have served their country and communities to serve on the panel. Email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Call for Active-Duty Alumni for Football Games: The Athletics Department honors an active duty servicemember at the 50-yard line prior to the playing of the National Anthem. We are looking for an alumnus to honor for the Syracuse game, Oct. 23. If you are attending and would like to participate in this opportunity, please let us know. We will be working with Athletics to see if they would be interested in continuing this gesture for other sporting events.
- Football Ticket Clarification: The Corps Alumni Office no longer receives football tickets from the Athletics Department to provide to visiting alumni. This is in large part due to the expanding size of the Corps and the return to in-person operations. For those looking to return for a football game (or any athletic event), tickets can be purchased through HokieSports.com. If you would like seats in close proximity to the cadets, please reach out to us at email@example.com and we can provide you with details for that event.
- Corps Scholarships: Please enjoy this special video created for Corps scholarship donors this year. If you are interested in being a scholarship donor, please let us know at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Stay in Touch
- The Virginia Tech Corps of Cadets Alumni has an official Facebook page that is a great mechanism to keep up with alumni events and Corps of activities.
- Corps Website: Our website has a lot of useful information for alumni and a calendar of events. Feel free to bookmark it on your internet browser and visit frequently.
- “Hokies with a VT Flag” pictures: We have received and displayed on the alumni Facebook page some really great photos of Hokies serving overseas and displaying their Hokie pride while in uniform. Service can come in many forms, not just in uniform and not just overseas. I challenge our alumni community to send us pictures of you doing something service-related and showing your Hokie pride (such as a community service project, helping at an animal shelter, in front of the hospital you work at, in front of the volunteer fire department, you get the idea). Let’s show the world examples of Ut Prosim in action!
CDR Nate Brown ‘98
Inbound Alumni Director
- Alumni events are listed on the Corps calendar that is visible on the home page.
- Our Recruiting Office is actively seeking volunteers to attend a college fair or present an Emerging Leader Scholarship near you.